Any employee of the Government of the Virgin Islands, including employees of the Legislature, the judicial branch, the University of the Virgin Islands, and all independent or semi-autonomous agencies and instrumentalities of the Government of the Virgin Islands, are eligible for initial and continued participation in the donated leave program:
Employee must have completed at least one (1) year of continuous employment with the Government of the Virgin Islands in the 12 months immediately preceding the original application for Donated Leave.
Leave Balance Requirement:
The employee must have exhausted all accrued sick, annual, compensatory, and administrative leave while on an approved sick leave by the start date of the donated leave absence period.
Leave Reason Requirement:
Employee must be suffering from a serious illness or injury which makes the employee unable to perform the essential function(s) of his/her job, the birth of a child or be the primary caregiver of a seriously ill family member or other individual who is a legal dependent of the employee for a minimum of 40 hours.
Medical Certification Requirement:
The employee must submit at the time of application a medical certification that certifies the anticipated time of absence from the service of the government and the reason for the leave:
(1) Birth of a child of the employee;
(2) Employee’s serious health condition that affects the employee’s ability to complete the essential functions of their job;
(3) Full-time assistance and primary care for a family member or other individual who is a legal dependent of the employee due to his/her serious health condition.
False reports of medical certifications will be reported to the applicable Medical Board and will subject the employee to lifetime removal from the Donated Leave Program.
Perspective Recipients should, prior to completing this application, complete the following:
1. Review the Donated Leave Policy to familiarize yourself with the program and requirements.
2. Visit your doctor to complete the Donated Leave Medical Certification Form. However, you may utilize the Certification of Health Care Provider for Employee’s Serious Health Condition from your FMLA Leave Package if the FMLA form was completed no more than 30 calendar days from the date you submit your Request for Donated Leave Application. Ensure that Medical Certifications are completely filled out and every question is answered. Incomplete applications will result in immediate denial. Medical Certifications with no return date will be denied and the employee will be provided with information regarding GERS disability retirement. This referral does not guarantee a disability retirement approval by GERS.
3. Based on the Medical Certification, calculate how many hours are needed to cover your period of absence as determined by your medical provider. Please note that advance sick leave negatives must be covered by donors prior to any donated leave being applied to the period of absence, please ensure than enough donor applications are provided to avoid pay interruption, donated leave cannot be used to cover pay cycles already closed. Additionally, sick leave is an hour for hour donation. However, annual leave donations are adjusted by the salary of the donor.
4. Seek donated leave to cover the hours needed and have each donor complete a Donated Leave Authorization Form.
5. If the employee meets the criteria outline above, this request should be completed. Please be ready to electronically attach the Medical Certification and sufficient Donor Authorization Forms to cover the period of absence. Failure to attach the required documents will result in an immediate denial.
This application can be completed by the employee recipient, family member of the employee recipient, or by the employee’s supervisor or Human Resources Department.